Fort St. Louis, c.1730
Fort St. Louis protected the French island of St. Louis located at the mouth of Senegal River, in Senegambia, present day Senegal. The image, published 1728, shows a plan of the interior of the fort. St. Louis Island was a major port in the French slave trade from Senegambia. The image is reproduced courtesy of the Pitts Theology Library, Candler School of Theology, Emory University.