The Guinea, as illustrated in this image, is part of present-day Guinea-Bissau, in Senegambia, West Africa. The Portuguese traded slaves in this area since the fifteenth century, but after that they were joined by other nations such as the French or the English. The image is of a map published in 1844 by the Portuguese Commander José Joaquim Lopes de Lima. It locates the principal African polities situated in the immediate interior of Senegambia and provides details about the region’s coast, the Portuguese forts located in the region as well as the names of the main rivers crossing the interior of Senegambia to the sea. In 1815, the slave trade from Senegambia was illegal, but historical records show that some illegal slave trading activities occurred in this region even after that year. The image is reproduced courtesy of the Manuscript, Archives and Rare Book Library, Emory University.