São Tiago, 1827
São Tiago is one of the islands belonging to the archipelago of Cape Verde, situated off the coast of West Africa. The island was discovered by 1460, and since then became a port of call in the voyages across the Atlantic. The island worked as an operational base for the Portuguese in the transatlantic slave trade from the coast of West Africa. The image is of a map produced by the Portuguese Commander José Joaquim Lopes de Lima in 1827, but published only in 1844. It provides the depth of the island’s bay as well as an illustration of São Tiago. The slave trade in the north Atlantic was illegal in 1815, but historical records show that the islands of Cape Verde remained engaged in this activity even after that year. The image is reproduced courtesy of the Manuscript, Archives and Rare Book Library, Emory University.