Inhambane was among the principal slave ports located on the coast of Mozambique, South-East Africa. Mozambique became an important region of slave embarkation in the nineteenth century after the prohibition of the slave trade in the North Atlantic in 1815. The image is of a map of Inhambane. The map locates the port of Inhambane right on the mouth of a river that has the same name as the port. It also provides the names of the main features of the coast surrounding Inhambane as well as the depth of the port’s sea. The map was published by Commander Francisco Maria Bordalo, responsible for completing a report on the Portuguese possessions overseas begun by Commander José Joaquim Lopes de Lima. The image is reproduced courtesy of the Manuscript, Archives and Rare Book Library, Emory University.